Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Riot Cola


Kim tries to save a dime and purchases Riot Classic Diet Cola last week at Fresh and Easy.

What a mistake! I "let the fizz out" as the label suggests and let me tell you something, it was not a riot! There was nothing riot-like in the whole experience. Not only was I underwhelmed with the flavor of Riot Classic Diet Cola, but I debated marching back into the store and demanding my 49 cents back. Think of all of the things I could purchase for $0.49:
1. A postage stamp (just one First-class stamp)
2. A weekday newspaper, but definitely not a weekend edition.
3. 2 gumballs from those machines (if you can round your $0.49 up to $0.50, there are many possibilities in the vending machine department)
4. One local call at a payphone (California Payphone Directory) - this site even lists the phone numbers of payphones in California - other than a drug deal, I can see very little use for this information.
5. A cheap condom from a bathroom vending machine (usually those are in the men's bathrooms, although I think they should be available in both the male and female restrooms).
7. One hour of work from a prison inmate. Seriously, paid under $0.50 cents/hr! My problem is not that they are working in prison, but that somebody is making a lot of cash off this system. I haven't heard anything lately referring to prisoners "paying their own way" or supporting themselves and their families from prison. I have heard that prisoners are a cheap labor force which satisfies many government contracts ... Food for thought.
8.  Feel free to contribute your thoughts and ideas - especially if you had an epiphany about what 50 cents can buy!

2 comments:

  1. there is nothing about this soda that would make me reach for it at the store. n-o-t-h-i-n-g. total brand loyalist and marketing whore. fully convinced that if i haven't heard of it or seen it somewhere else before, it ain't worth my time. :)

    um...isn't 1/2 a mini mcflurry $0.50?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was an impulsive and hasty decision, but it made me think about the value of $0.50 -- I should have paid the full $1.00!

    ReplyDelete